28 May, 2020
Spaghetti al Limone
This is the San Pietro’s signature dish and the most popular. Its secret lies in the intense flavor of the Amalfi Coast lemons which are hard to match anywhere in the world.
- Shredded lemon zest (briefly steep in boiling water to remove the bitterness)
- Lemongrass, thinly sliced
- Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Spaghetti, 50-80g per person
- Lemon peel infusion (peel lemon with only the zest, no white which is the bitter part. Leave in a jar of water together with the lemon juice for 24-36 hours)
Place the spaghetti into a pot of boiling water. Be sure to add plenty of salt to the water for flavour. Cook for 7 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan, adding the garlic. Do not let the garlic brown. Add the lemongrass, lemon zest, parsley and a cube of butter. Pour a couple of ladles of the pasta water into the ingredients in the pan, together with some of the lemon infusion to create the sauce.
Toss in fresh or dried chili if you like a kick.
Once the sauce is boiling and blended nicely with the olive oil and butter, remove from the heat. Cooking too much can turn the lemon bitter.
Remove the spaghetti from the water after it has cooked for 7 minutes and add to the sauce, mixing thoroughly. Add some more parsley, olive oil and pasta water as necessary. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed. Grate lemon peel over the plated spaghetti and serve.